City Park, New Orleans
The Devil’s Arse, Castleton, Derbyshire, England
So I’ve made this a few weeks back and fooled everyone. This is not mashed potatoes. This is mashed cauliflower. Less calories, less carbs, more vegetables, without reducing the flavor or adding any preservatives. If there are ever any “secrets” when it comes to this healthy lifestyle, then this would be it.
This is the recipe I used:
- 8 cups Or 1 head of a Cauliflower Floret
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snipped fresh chives for garnish
Note: I did not use butter, and instead of 4 teaspoons of olive oil I used 3. Play around with this recipe until you are satisfied with the flavor and consistency.
- Place cauliflower florets and garlic in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 3 to 5 minutes.)
- Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, butter, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.
Per serving: 107 calories; 7 g fat ( 1 g sat , 4 g mono ); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (150% daily value), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
4 servings, 3/4 cup each